Energy Dept. Releases New SBIR/STTR Topics
November 18th, 2015 by Sarah Ricard
The Department of Energy has released topics ahead of its FY16 SBIR/STTR Phase 1 Release 2 Funding Opportunity Announcement. Details are available on the DOE website. The full FOA is expected to be released on Monday, Nov. 30. DOE will provide a webinar opportunity to learn more about the DOE SBIR/STTR application process shortly after the FOA release.
Phase 1 includes evaluation of scientific or technical merit and idea feasibility along with commercial potential and substantial application that supports DOE mission research. In FY16, Phase 1 and Fast-Track (combined Phase 1 and Phase II) grants will be made to small businesses with maximum award sizes of $150,000 or $225,000 depending on the topic.
The DOE’s SBIR/STTR research topics can be found here under Phase I Release 2 topics. The topic areas include:
- Office of Defense Nuclear Nonproliferation (7 topics and 23 subtopics)
- Office of Electricity Delivery and Energy Reliability (1 topic and 2 subtopics)
- Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (8 topics and 21 subtopics)
- Office of Environmental Management (1 topic and 3 subtopics)
- Office of Fossil Energy (2 topics and 12 subtopics)
- Office of Fusion Energy Sciences (4 topics and 16 subtopics)
- Office of High Energy Physics (6 topics and 60 subtopics)
- Office of Nuclear Energy (3 topics and 19 subtopics)
Letters of intent are due Dec. 21, and the application due date is Feb. 9, 2016. You must submit a letter of intent to be eligible to submit an application.
Check out the DOE SBIR/STTR Online Learning Portal to learn more about the application process.