Licenses and Permits – State Requirements

Restaurant and Food Services

Contact the state or the county sanitarian, an on-site inspector of restaurants and food preparation facilities. Anyone in food services, such as food processing, restaurants, caterers, mobile food units, convenience stores and bed and breakfasts must have their kitchen plans approved before establishing these businesses. These rules also apply to home-based businesses.

Division of Environmental Health Protection
Arkansas Department of Health
4815 West Markham
Little Rock, AR 72205
501.661.2171 (state sanitarian)

Permit to Serve Alcohol

The Alcoholic Beverage Control Division (ABC) conducts a 4-hour educational seminar twice monthly. Applicants are required to attend before a permit is issued. Plan to attend even if buying a business with an existing permit. Permit fees range from $40 to $1,000, plus a federal occupational tax of approximately $250.

Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration
Alcoholic Beverage Control Division
1515 W. 7th St., Ste. 503
Little Rock, AR 72201

Permit to Sell Cigarettes, Tobacco, Amusement, and Vending Machines

Contact to apply for special permits to sell these types of goods or to operate amusement or vending machines:
Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration
Miscellaneous Tax Section
7th & Wolfe
Little Rock, AR 72203

Contractor Licenses

Contact to apply for licensing to do commercial or residential construction or home remodeling or improvement:
Arkansas Contractors Licensing Board
4100 Richards Rd.
North Little Rock, AR 72117

Child Care

Contact for a packet of regulations:
Division of Child Care & Early Childhood Education
700 Main Street Slot S-140
Little Rock, AR 72201

Adult or Senior Day Care

Contact for a packet of regulations:
Arkansas Department of Human Services
Office of Long Term Care
P.O. Box 8059, Slot 408
Little Rock, AR 72203